What is a Safety Audit?
A Safety Audit gauges a workplace’s compliance with OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) standards. Through the process, the auditor can understand the effectiveness of a company’s current policies and determine if they have any deficiencies. The ultimate goal of this practice is to identify the causes and minimize the potential of occupational injuries. Among other relevant metrics, this process can affect the number of “recordable injuries”. Through its correct use, a company can better prepare a safer workplace environment for its employees.
What are the benefits?
Safety Audits provide a wide range of benefits to a business. In addition to identifying the strengths and weaknesses of current policies, they also:
- Decrease liability
- Demonstrate the company’s commitment to compliance
- Increase employee understanding of environmental and safety regulations
Internal vs. External Audits
A company’s first decision after opting to perform an audit is picking between an internal auditor and an external Dallas Human Resources service. While many points of difference exist between the two options, external auditors provide clients with a lot of advantages.
Some advantages of using Dallas Human Resources service auditors are:
- More experience in conducting the audit within a range of industries
- Specialized knowledge that is up-to-date with latest legislation and standards
- Objective and unbiased analysis and recommendations
Conversely, the use of internal HR staff as auditors can incur some potential problems, a few of which are:
- Lack of specialization in Health and Safety
- Weaker acceptance with shareholders and agencies
- Biased reporting that lacks critical insight and has the potential for errors
- Lower priority which may delay the audit entirely
An audit by a Dallas Human Resources service provides the efficiency, knowledge and expertise that can result in an effective and informative Safety Audit. Their specialization in the process ensures that the audit will reflect current and objective information.
HumCap is a Dallas Human Resources service firm with an experienced team of consultants ready to help you with all your HR needs. Whether you require safety consulting or fractional HR advisory, contact us today!